Wednesday, January 16, 2008

green card journey

Last year, Fil and i embarked on a visa journey (K-1) which lasted 7 months. It happened fast and went very smoothly. All it took was a lot of research and hardwork in preparing the documents (which was easy for me because i'm basically an OC person), patience, support from people undergoing the same process and of course keeping the relationship alive, so to speak, despite the distance.

Now that i'm here in the US, i have to work on my adjustment of status (AOS) as legal permanent resident. 3 weeks after i got here we were married (that's the first requirement) and started filling-up all the required immigration forms. Just before Christmas, we were finally able to send out the whole AOS package and last week, i received a letter for my biometrics.

So yesterday, i appeared at the USCIS Application Service Center in Oakland for my biometrics appointment. It took less than 10 minutes to scan all my fingers and take my photo which will appear in my green card. Got a swollen pregnant face there, eooow!

It's waiting time again. On the average, it takes 3-4 months after biometrics for an interview to be scheduled prior to the issuance of a green card. Some were lucky to be approved without an interview but i may not be as lucky 'coz i failed to comply with the vaccination requirements (MMR and varicella) due to the fact that i am pregnant. After i have the baby i need to get vaccinated so i can show them medical proof when they call me for interview.

But i'm not in a hurry. I try not to focus on it too much and stress myself. It pays to relax and wait. And i have a big task ahead: give birth and take care of my baby. The most important thing has already happened, that is, i'm now here with Fil and we're starting a family. That's my priority. The green card will only formalize my presence here and open up opportunities for me so i can live the "american dream."

When i think about it, the timing is just perfect. By the time i'll have my green card (i'm being positive here, hoping that the USCIS will not give me a hard time), baby would be a couple of months old. Hopefully by then i have already secured a driver's license and have gotten back to my old shape. Then maybe when baby is a little older (say, 5 months?), i can find myself a decent job and live a life like everyone else here in the US: balance work and family. Being a first-time mom, it pains me to think i can't spend all the time in the world with my baby but that's life, i've got to help pay the bills and add to the family coffer so we can live comfortably, send balikbayan box to our families in the Philippines (hehehe), enjoy really nice things, pursue our passion for travel and photography and of course, give the best to our precious little one.

Hmmm, sounds like a plan. Let's wait and see.
_____
My Green Card Interview Experience
My K1 visa and AOS timeline

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...