Sunday, July 13, 2008

Jollibee!

I didn't realize Fil's got psychic powers until he asked me this afternoon where I want to have a snack before we go to the supermarket. Without waiting for my reply, he was quick to add "Jollibee?" I was surprised! I mean, i've been craving for langhap-sarap chickenjoy for the past few days and i don't really remember mentioning it to him. In fact, i was even going to suggest we drop by jollibee before we do the grocery but Fil, with his extraordinary power to read minds, jumped the gun on me. hihihi. And so I had my chickenjoy and spaghetti this afternoon at Jollibee Union City, so far only my 3rd visit to this branch during the 9 months that i've been here. Yummy! They pretty much tasted the same way as the ones served in the Philippines except for the hotdog slices in the spaghetti. The difference? they're not purefoods! :-)

When i think about it now, Jollibee was so much a part of my life in the Philippines. I've been to so many Jollibee's - from Laoag to Davao - and here are some of my favorites:

1. Jollibee Philcoa in Diliman, Quezon City - this branch opened when i was a sophomore in UP (and i'm not telling what year! hehe). Memories of my UP life wouldn't be complete without it. This is where i spent hours and hours of brainstorming with classmates for a project, chatting with friends in between or after classes and sharing countless meals with my college boyfriend. Hala! I remember back then, given our student budget, Jollibee was the only place we could afford to regularly go to "outside" the campus. After college, i still frequented this branch 'coz i worked in the area and later took my MA degree. Everytime i visit, i always meet a former classmate or a teacher or a seatmate or a groupmate or a dormmate or a familiar face. I never felt alone.

2. Jollibee Baguio City Upper Session Road - this one is located at the city's old terminal compound. i was spending holy week break 2004 with my relatives in La Union and took the whole family to a day tour of Baguio City. Being the first time for most of my pamangkins to go "out of town", they were very excited...parang mga nakawala sa hawla hihihi. After picknicking and boating at burnham park, we went to SM. There were 18 of us and we walked as a group holding on to the kids so they wouldn't get lost in the big easter sunday crowd. Later Kuya Val shouted anxiously "si maimai?!" We couldn't find her and we all panicked! We retraced our steps and later found my 6-year old niece at the second floor firmly holding to a railing at the center of the mall. She wasn't crying. She said she just stayed there hoping we would come back for her. So in celebration, we all trooped to where else but Jollibee! Unfortunately, we couldn't find enough seats so we left the mall and drove to the nearest branch in the Upper Session Road. We had an instant party! We literally occupied half of the 2nd floor space. Luckily, a Jollibee mascot was in the house and we had pictures with him. The kids were so happy to see a "live" Jollibee for the first time. What a happy ending to an unforgettable day!

3. Jollibee Cebu, Colon branch - this is really funny. Have you ever been penalized by a traffic officer for eating at Jollibee?! Yes, we were! During one of my visits to the city, my (ex)honey took me for a walk down Colon Street, said to be the oldest street in the Philippines. But before we did that, we decided to have a quick lunch at Jollibee. As soon as I saw the store sign, we jumped out of the jeepney without waiting for the driver to stop. We didn't notice the traffic guy who followed us inside and told us that we violated the "no unloading sign." He gave us a choice: to pay the P50 fine or render community service for a number of hours. Of course we took the easy way out and handed him the money (in fairness, he gave us a receipt). Did we argue with him? I think i gave it a try (ako pa!) but later gave up 'coz we didn't want to waste precious time. Later as if nothing happened, we ordered our Jollibee, attacked our chickenjoy lunch, and went on with our "historical walk." Actually, what we did was far from historical 'coz we ended up shopping for cheap CDs/DVDs and celfone accessories. That place is the Quiapo or Divisoria of Manila...piracy showcasing its best! :-)

4. Jollibee Northern Cebu, Bogo branch - so during my third visit to Cebu, we escaped to the northern tip of the province for some post-new year R&R at the San Remigio Beach Club. We had a full breakfast in Mandaue courtesy of my ex-future-mother-in-law (!) so we didn't bring enough baon in the car 'coz we were confident we could easily find Jollibee or McDo along the way. Surprise, surprise! 10 towns later and the only fastfood we found was Jollibee in the town of Bogo! The long drive made us so tired and hungry that we were extremely happy to see one. Once again, Jollibee saved the day! The store was located at the Gaisano mall and we noticed a lot of building construction going on at the town center. At that time, Bogo was stepping up its bid for cityhood which explains all the new infrastructure and of course, Jollibee! You gotta have Jollibee to become a city, right? hehehe. Bogo became a city last year.

5. Jollibee Legazpi City, Landco Pacific Mall - in December 2002, a friend invited me to her hometown in Bicol and i had the grandest time of my life admiring the near perfectly cone-shaped beauty of Mayon volcano from almost anywhere in the province. During one of our road trips, we stopped by Landco Pacific Mall in Legazpi City to eat and after much deliberation, my friend's niece - the only child in the group - won over all 10 of us to have lunch at Jollibee. As we stepped inside, we saw a mascot waving to the crowd but he was already making his way past the store counter and into the kitchen exit much to the dismay of my friend's niece. You think we only stood there and watched him get away just like that? No way! We asked the manager or whoever was attending to us if we could borrow Jollibee for a picture and she must have seen the look on the kid's face 'coz she called on Jollibee to go back. Yehey! We took our picture with Jollibee and made my friend's niece very, very happy.

6. Jollibee Tagaytay - Whether you are going to Tagaytay for some cool fresh air and the breathtaking view of Taal volcano or just passing by enroute to Batangas, this Jollibee is so strategically located at the rotunda making it the ideal pit stop after a long drive from Manila. Usually we leave Manila with an empty stomach and arrive in Tagaytay just in time for a Jollibee breakfast. I've been to this branch as often as i've been to Tagaytay and i especially love it 'coz outside, there is always somebody who sells espasol which i like! :-)

7. Jollibee Kalinisan in Bacoor, Cavite - this one is the closest to my house and located at the zapote-aniban busy intersection. I went here very often for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This is also where i frequently ordered food takeout after a long day at work or food delivery whenever i felt lazy to cook anything at home. One time i ordered their one-piece burger steak meal (nagda-diet kunwari) but was given 2 pieces instead. When i asked for a replacement, my honesty surprised them but what caught them off guard was the fact that i complained about it. I told them "i only ordered one burger steak and you gave me two pieces...you guys are going to ruin my diet." hehehe...

8. Jollibee La Union, Agoo and San Fernando branches - both branches i shared with my ISSA co-workers and our SWS partners when we were doing an EU-funded project in La Union. Who could forget that one trip when Marlon won over the group and we stopped over for lunch at Jollibee Agoo so he could collect kiddie meal toys for his nephew? Not only that, during that same trip, we also ate at Jollibee in San Fernando to complete Marlon's toy collection. Hay..nakakasuka rin pala 'pag palaging jollibee! The only up side was that the chickenjoy meals didn't cut much from our per diem allowance so we ended up with extra cash for pasalubong shopping. The San Fernando branch is also special because this is where i always bring my pamangkins. It takes about 20 minutes to commute from Bauang to San Fernando City and they love going to Jollibee with Tita Maricar (that's me!) for some chicken, burger, fries and crunchy chocolate twirl.

4 comments:

  1. Jollibee UP-Philcoa opened when I was a freshman. I should know, because my aunt and I were the first 50 costumers. I was living in UP BLISS back then. Hahaha! You were already a sophomore then--lia

    ReplyDelete
  2. lia, it had its soft opening march 1992 so...freshman pa rin ako non. maybe when it had its grand opening, june na. ayan, nabisto tuloy ang year! but to be sure, let me check with jollibee, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you won li...jollibee philcoa opened January 2003 huhuhu :(( how come i always have this feeling that it opened when i was a freshman?...and so brave of me pa to argue with one of the first 50 customers! hehehe

    anyway, i edited na my article. so saan mo ko ilibre? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I enjoyed reading this post. It makes a lot of sense. I'll be looking for interesting topics here, Looking forward for your next post.


    -megan-

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...