Sunday, December 7, 2008

PACMAN rules!

Did Manny Pacquiao bring his punching bag to the ring in Las Vegas last Saturday? Huh?! OMG! Was it the Golden Boy?!! Oh yeah, Pacman hammered Oscar dela Hoya for 8 rounds in their much-awaited fight and reduced the boxing Hall of Famer into nothing but a static fighter. Who would have thought...? Long before Manny became the champion that he is now, Oscar was already the Golden Boy. Oscar had a very successful career and with his charm and good looks, he is definitely one of the reasons why many people love boxing. Any average Jane like me who watches boxing knows him. I used to have this crush on DLH and never did i imagine that the day would come when i would be cheering against him. Of course, i rooted for Manny not only because I'm a Filipino but also because i spent three years of my life in GenSan. I'm so proud!

We watched the fight with dabarkads at Needoh & Lyn's place in Milpitas who generously hosted the PPV party. We were all shouting, jumping and cheering everytime Manny punches DLH's pretty face (ouch!) Racrac got hyper he also started bellowing "woooooohh!" and stood in front of all of us, his back to the TV, and yelled like a cheerleader. so cute!

I was confident Manny would win but still I couldn't get myself to watch the game without covering my face for fear that Manny might be hit or knocked down. But after 5 rounds, i started to relax and enjoy the game. There was no doubt Manny came prepared to beat his 'idol.' And he didn't just beat him, he beat him down. DLH got the kind of beating that screams: "time for you to retire!"

I love boxing. It's exciting and heart-stopping, like riding a roller-coaster of emotions when you're watching it. I remember my father brought me once when i was 10 or 11 (or maybe younger) to a live boxing match held at a gymnasium in our small town. I can still recall watching the two fighters dancing inside the ring but the scene playing in my mind now is the vision of the colorful tassels that adorn their boxing shoes...the bunch of cords swaying with the boxer's every move. The place was noisy, filled mostly with males. Back then i found it unusual for a father to bring his young girl to such a crowded noisy unruly place but now i look back with fondness for papa who was protective of me yet didn't spare me the thrill of watching a sport.

Anyway, back to Manny. Fil and i bumped into him at a hotel in GenSan when we went there to attend a wedding 2 years ago and i have evidence to prove that:
See that smile on his face? He was happy to see me! hehehe...As for my friends Beverly, Anne & Ching, they were so excited that not one of them bothered to take a picture of me & Fil & Manny together. haynaku!

To you Manny, congratulations bay! Your success did not only make us Filipinos swell with pride but you also accomplished what we thought was impossible: a crime-free metro manila and a united people even for just a few hours.

____
Dela Hoya-Pacquiao fight photo above downloaded from this news article: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/boxing/article5304214.ece

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...