Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Tappiyah Waterfalls

Tappiyah Waterfalls, Batad, Ifugao Province
"We lead our lives like water flowing down a hill...going more or less in one direction until we splash into something that forces us to find a new course." -
Arthur Golden in Memoirs of a Geisha


30 April 2005. We were in a makeshift rest station atop a hill nervously looking down the eroded foot trail leading to a bend where the waterfall was hiding. We have just conquered the amphitheatre Batad rice terraces and this would be the last leg of our self-imposed challenge. It was almost 4pm and despite the persistence of Vicente, our tour guide, to proceed amidst the looming rainfall, Marinette shook her head saying she has seen a waterfall before so for her, it’s no big deal. By that time some tourists were already ascending the steep hill on their way back to the rest station and I overheard them cheerfully talking about the strong rapids and the refreshingly cool water.

Vicente pointing to the trail
leading to the falls
I have not yet seen a waterfall. I've got to see this one! The thrill-seeker in me took over so I descended with Vicente while Marinette kept cheering me on. I waved at her more than a couple of times until she has diminished into nothing but a speck so I could no longer see if she was still cheering me on or if she was already downing that cold soft drink sold at the station. It took me a 20-minute footwork to reach the bend and there, a few steps to my left, was the elusive, breathtaking, charming Tappiyah Waterfall. A few more careful steps down and we were right in front of it - its splashing sound so thunderous it felt like being inside a dolby digital-powered cinema.

It was my first time to see a waterfall. Hard to believe, but true. Probably I’ve seen a couple of waterfalls but none as real and grand as this one to leave a mark in my memory. I didn't bring any swimwear so without hesitating and unmindful of how Vicente would react, I dropped my jeans and attacked its refreshing pool of water wearing my shirt and underwear. yaikss! Thankfully all the tourists have left so it was there exclusively for me to enjoy.

Vicente the tour guide became the photographer as he took pictures of me waving and frolicking like a kid. A couple of times i had to run back to him to show him how to use the camera. It was almost 5pm when he told me we had to go so we could make it back to our cottage before sunset. Upon surfacing, I paused to steal a mental picture of the waterfall that only the strong and determined would be blessed to see. It was one of those blissful moments in my life when I wished my loved ones were with me to share the experience.

I literally crawled my way up back to the rest station. Only when I saw the relieved face of Marinette did I realize what I just did. Imagine: I was alone with a 35-year old male tour guide in a secluded spot in the interior of the vast Cordillera mountain ranges in the hunt for nothing but adventure. Oh well, life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.

___
<<< Go back to my Travel Page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...